Partner with Us!
Stone Soup’s Theatre’s educational programs focus on giving each young actor the tools they need to succeed on stage. All our student productions are actor-centered: our students are the true stars of our shows! We take focus away from the technical aspects of theatre and put it back in our young actor’s imaginations. We use suggestive costuming, sets and props to enable our student performers to bring the world of the play to life.
Get Involved through...
Summer Teaching Internship/Assistant Director
Work with youth ages 5-17 each week to perform 30-minute versions of a wide variety of genres including adaptations of musicals like Hamilton and Frozen, Shakespeare, and literature based classics like Peter Rabbit, Through the Looking Glass, and A Wrinkle in Time. We need interns and assistant directors who love kids and theatre.
Duties include assisting Teaching Artists in the creation of live theatre pieces; supervising, guiding and encouraging young performers; organizing scripts and attendance sheets; and the coordination of props and costumes. Interns will gain first-hand experience in bringing a script from page to stage with young performers including observing and collaborating with experienced teaching artists and leading games and exercises while also gaining classroom/rehearsal management skills.
- Interns/Assistant Directors must be available to work a minimum of four weeks, from late June through August in our outdoor summer camps.
- Interns/Assistant Directors must be able to work 8:30am-3:00pm weekdays during the summer.
- It will be helpful if Interns/Assistant Directors are able to drive or have access to a car.
- Interns/Assistant Directors must complete each camp they are assigned to in order to fulfill the internship requirements.
- All Interns/Assistant Directors must pass a background check, as required by the state of Washington.
- Interns/Assistant Directors should have some experience working with children and either be completing a theatre or education degree, be a theatre or education graduate, or have significant theatre experience.
- Based on experience.
$16.69/hour or $150 stipend per week, plus academic credit through a formal university program.
Additional paid hours may be available with aftercare.
June 21, 2021 – August 31, 2021 — Exact dates negotiable.
Summer Education Manager
Work alongside the Education Director on the administration of all aspects of Stone Soup’s numerous outdoor summer theatre camps serving youth ages 5-16 at Meridian and Jefferson Parks in Seattle. The Summer Program Manager will begin the summer as an assistant to the Education Director and gradually take over the day-to-day management of the program, spending the final 8 weeks in a full management role.
- Office tasks as needed to support the weekly camp program.
- Interacting with the public and problem-solving when customer issues arise.
- Assisting and mentoring summer staff members as needed.
- Occasional work in the parks teaching or assisting teachers may be required.
- Other assigned projects if/as time allows.
A degree in live theatre, education, or arts administration preferred. An ability to solve problems in a fast-paced office and field (teaching) environment. Must be able to pass a background check as required by the state of Washington.
Variable, 20-40 hours/week, $19.00/hour
June 14, 2021 – August 31, 2021 — Exact start date negotiable.
Former Stone Soup Theatre campers and conservatory kids, or junior high and high school students looking to fulfill their community service – we welcome you to volunteer for SummerStage 2021. Build a resume that shows that you have initiative, and interests!
Volunteer for 1 or 2 or 6 weeks of the summer.
Hope to see you this Summer!
- Duties include assisting Teaching Artists in the creation
of live theatre pieces; supervising, guiding and encouraging young performers; organizing scripts and attendance sheets; and the coordination of props and costumes. Interns will gain first-hand experience in bringing a script from page to stage with young performers including observing and collaborating with experienced teaching artists and leading games and exercises while also gaining classroom/rehearsal management skills.
- Interest and/or experience with youth and/or live theatre.
- Ages 13-18
- Our weekly camps are located in Wallingford and Beacon Hill.
- The camps start at 8:30am and end at 3:00pm.
We have many weeks to choose from!
SummerStage 2021 | June 21, 2021 – August 31, 2021
The SummerStage Costumer is responsible for organizing, preparing and maintaining costume bins for the summer program with approximately 34 outdoor camps. Costume bins are composed of simple costume and prop pieces and rotated between camps on a weekly basis. The Costumer will also be responsible for creating a limited number of new bins for the summer (which will primarily be pulled from stock).
- Devising a method for weekly costume bin check in/out (2 – 6 bins per week).
- Maintenance, cleaning and repair of costumes throughout and at the end of the summer.
- Create costume bins for new shows, primarily from stock.
- Read new scripts and compile a list of needs prior to the start of summer.
- Limited prop purchasing throughout the summer as needs arise.
- All bins need to be ready for check out by Wednesday of each week.
Candidate should have some interest/experience working with youth and costuming, and the fun that goes along with that.
- Averages 6 hours per week – flexible.
- $650.00 for the summer or Internship/Service Credit Hours.
June 14, 2021 – August 31, 2021 — Exact start date negotiable.
Stone Soup produces 3 shows per year with our Youth Conservatory. We look for experienced costumers who can build a show from the bottom up. Costumers will have an opportunity to participate in all aspects of costuming from concept to performance with casts of around 15 youth performers.
Education Assistant - Outreach program
We are looking for an individual who can work with the Director of Education and assist in the duties of organizing after-school drama programs and residencies in our 30 area schools. Many schools do not have drama as a part of their curriculum. Stone Soup provides a needed service with both the arts and the convenience of after school programs for working parents. This internship has the potential to become a part time job in the next school year and summer.
Teaching or assisting teaching in our programs will bring additional income for the right candidate.
- Assisting education director with school schedules, and communications.
- Assistant teaching in schools with 15 or more drama students
- Help with organizing costumes and props for various after school final performances.
The position pays a quarterly stipend of $200.00 and will run during the 2020-21 school year.
2021-22 school year.
Stone Soup Theatre seeks stage managers to work with youth casts in the 2020-21 season.
Organizing auditions and call backs, prop retrieval, and communication with casts.
- Organizational skills are just as important as the ability to take over the show once it is open.
- Technical theatre background is a plus when applying for this position.
- Stipend pay included or hourly wage depending on experience.
- Rehearsals for youth programs are weekdays after school, particularly Wednesdays and Thursdays.
2020-2021 Performance Season
- Assist in communications with media, audience, generating story ideas, drafting news releases, creating displays, handling mailings, updating mailing lists, maintaining publicity files and developing creative low-cost plans to reach new audiences.
Applicant must have experience with computer graphics and MS Outlook.
Stone Soup seeks volunteers in a variety of areas.
In addition, we can always use volunteers and work/trade help for a variety of projects from kid-wrangling to big mailings to distribution of marketing materials!
Volunteer trade duties are dependent on the tasks assigned such as house managing, assistant stage managing, or marketing.
- Our Office is located at Wallingford Presbyterian Church
- Our programs are located throughout the Seattle area.
Payment can range from school credit to stipend to hourly depending upon the candidate and position.